Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Winter Story

Ok, so it really has been a long time. 









Nick, Noah, Lola at Tahquamenon Falls. 

What a lovely holiday we had. My sister came over for a few days, and my brother drove up from Illinois with his boys. My oldest son came over and we were all together for Christmas day. It was a peaceful and quiet celebration. 





My brother fell in love with my dog and asked for a picture with him and Applejack wearing his jammies. 














And then we got some snow! 


This winter is nothing compared to last winter, but I love snow and was happy to finally get some after a brown Christmas. 

Here is Jim with the three dogs on the trail that is about a mile from our home. It's a nice mile or so walk through the woods on a paved trail that they kept, mostly, clear of snow and ice. It traverses a river as well. We go there at least once a week and watch the seasons while we all get some exercise. It has added a new appreciation for winter to go out in it every day. 





Last weekend we took the 45 minute drive to Yankee Springs where they have an awesome 3 mile loop that goes past the lake. I really love it there, wish it was a little closer, but we had a wonderful walk up and down the hills and on the frozen lake. Here is me with Applejack.  
Back in February, to celebrate my oldest and youngest sons' birthdays, we went to the upper peninsula in Michigan and stayed with a friend and went DOG SLEDDING!!! 

It was so fun. Noah and Nick got to mush their own sleds. Noah had six dogs, Nick's had five. Debi and I sat happily in our own sled, mushed by the owner of Nature Kennels, with 12 dogs. And watched the beautiful winter landscape on our ten mile route. They had 4 feet of snow up there! 

Nick, me, Noah in back, Debi.

Our ride up was interesting. After we crossed the Mackinaw bridge it just kept getting colder and colder. By the time we reached McMillan it was -19 degrees. My car refused to go over 60mph. That night it went down to -25. It was +7 while we were sledding .... kind of chilly!

Here are the dogs coming in to home base.  
The next day we went to Tahquamenon Falls. I love the way the waterfall freezes in so many colors, blue and gold and rust. 
 

Icicles hanging from a ledge. We took a walk on the "do not enter - danger" trail that was closed because we knew it would be awesome and it did not disappoint. 






No comments:

Post a Comment